Hey guys , the verdict is in and another trend is out there looming over us like a cloud; we want to wear it but don't know how or it doesn't always suit our body type. So here are a few tips I live by when shopping:
1) Be true to yourself. ( if you don't like how it looks on you put it back or try another fit or colour and if by then you still don't like it, forget about it.)
2)Accessorizing ( a lot of trends need trimmings n such to personalize it and make it you. So think beyond the blank canvas of the ensemble and think of what it can be paired with in your closet)
3) Is quite similar to (2). Think of what you already have in you closet. ( you can end up with a lot of pieces that don't go together. Unless you plan buying a whole outfit that goes together)
4) Quality vs Quantity. (We can weigh the pros and cons of this one but there's always a middle ground. Let's face it even the celebrities would pair a H&M top with a Versace blazer, guess jeans and Louboutin heels and an Hermes bag. But my suggestion to this is let the main pieces be quality pieces e.g Jackets/blazers, jeans, dresses. You can buy quantity in these items as well but usually quality items last longer.
5) Be smart. ( if the trend looks like it will have a short shelf life (e.g harem pants, ahem) and you are starving yourself to buy it, don't. Or get a dare I say a cheap version, that way you can cut and reconstruct into something useful.
6) Last but not least. Have fun. We all make mistakes but we learn and move on from them so don't be afraid to make a "wrong choice". Hair grows out, clothes can be thrown away or given away and a day is only 24 hours. Take the chance the "wrong choice might end up being the right one and you may discover that you can rock a mullet, crocs, or your grandfather's winter coat. Who cares what people think.
Well I hope these steps help you like they do me. A new year for a clean slate makes for an exciting wardrobe.